My dear little blogging sister Charvi @ Not Just Fiction has decided to create a new meme, and while I can not even imagine trying to be funny in my post like her, I am still going to try writing something because I can’t pass up this opportunity to support her.
According to Charvi, “Off Tangent Thoughts (OTT) is a bi-monthly meme that has a basic list-based format wherein bloggers express their points in the form of a short or long list with the points under the list being merely a couple lines or even complete paragraphs.” For more details about this meme, click here and also make sure to checkout her blog for more hilarious bookish posts. I promise you wont stop laughing.
The first topic dated 20th April, 2019 is: Thoughts You Have While Organising Your Bookshelf . As you can see from the way I titled this post, I really don’t have any proper organizing method for my shelf. So, let me tell you a story spanning a decade about how I have evolved in terms of “arranging” my books wherever I could find some place.
A Decade Ago: Bangalore
- I have a job now and live in this single room, which is all mine… Let me buy some books.
- Clear out a part of one shelf in my wardrobe to fit in my books.
- Wow… I now have too many books and too many clothes too…(what can I say, I am an impulsive shopper 😃) Where do I keep all of them..????
- *Just squeeze them all somewhere…*
- Ohh… I’m moving back home now.. How do I transport all these books to Hyderabad?
- Enlist Dad’s help…. Pack the books up in boxes… Put them on a transport bus.
- The boxes have reached home now, but my parents have no bookshelf… *there go all my book boxes into the attic never to be seen again 😣😣😣*
Five Years Ago: NC and then Georgia
- I have a job again, so I can buy books now 😀😀😀
- But, we are always moving homes or states…. books are so tough to move!!!
- Let me just buy a Kindle and all the ebooks I want 👍👍👍
- Wow… I own too many ebooks now and I can’t even remember what I own. Let me create categories to organize the books by topics.
- 2 months later, what are categories….. I’m too lazy 😪😪😪
18 Months Ago: Maryland
- I have no job now, but I have too much free time and love blogging about books. We might also be living here for a while, so let me finally buy a bookshelf 🤩🤩🤩
- Now, let’s get started with the book buying….
- Have just a few books… let me place them equally on every rack to maintain a balance.
- Let me keep my most favorite books on the top 🙂
- Ohhh I have many books now… Shall I keep all the hardcovers and paperbacks separately?
- What should I do with all these bookmarks I have bought and collected….?? *throws them somewhere on the shelf 🙄🙄*
- Woahhh…. I hardly have any place left on my shelf… Maybe I should stop buying more physical books and stick to my Kindle again 😥😥😥
- I receive my first ever physical ARC and it’s an unsolicited one I don’t even wanna read… Where do I even fit this on my shelf.. *just stuffs it on top of other books*
- And what do I do with all these innumerable and wonderful looking notebooks that I own… *buys a side table to keep next to my couch and stacks them all up*
- What am I gonna do with all these books when we decide to move back home… GOD HELP ME !!!!!
Moral of the Story:
I have absolutely no organizing method. My favorites Throne of Glass and Leigh Bardugo books are on the top shelf. All the others are just shelved based on efficiency (and maybe size) without any care for color or alphabetical order or anything interesting.
My Tip: Just organize based on whatever makes you feel happy or satisfied. There is no right way except your own.
This is possibly my first attempt at talking about myself on this blog because I hardly ever write any discussion posts. I think I must have bored everyone to death, but let me know if I didn’t 😉😉😉 What are your favorite ways of organizing books on shelves? Do you have any tips for me? Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below..