Off Tangent Thoughts is a bi-monthly meme created by Charvi @ Not Just Fiction that has a basic list-based format wherein bloggers express their points in the form of a short or long list with the points under the list being merely a couple lines or even complete paragraphs.
The topic for 4th May, 2019 is: Thoughts You Have About Book Reviews or Discussions. I absolutely love book reviews, both reading and writing them and that’s why my blog is so full of them. While I’m not exactly sure what thoughts I want to share about book reviews in general, let me list down what goes into making me decide to read a book and my review writing process.
If I decide to read a book by a favorite author (or) a very anticipated one:
- Read the book first and highlight the hell out of it.
- After finishing, logon to Goodreads and checkout all my friend’s reviews of the book.
- Comment on whichever reviews I love or the ones which reflect my thoughts. Sometimes, the ones I disagree with too but they are just awesome 🙂
- Everytime someone I follow blogs about the book, read it thoroughly and comment to discuss our mutual feelings about it.
If I decide to pick a book which I don’t know much about:
- Logon to Goodreads and check the rating… If it’s less than 3.8 *do I really want to read it*
- Read a lot of 4,3, and 2 star reviews… Mostly by my friends but others too.
- Am I okay with everything mentioned in the reviews..??? If yes, then pick up the book. Otherwise, move on.
- Finish the book and go back to the other reviews to let them know how they helped me decide to pick up the book 😃😃
How do I write my review:
- Have one notebook to write quotes… another notebook to write my thoughts while reading…
- Start reading the book. Get so deeply involved in reading, completely forget about the notebooks and end up not taking any notes.
- Thankfully, highlight some quotes on the iPad or Kindle.
- Do I write the review right now or shall I wait for a day 🤔🤔🤔
- Just start typing up on my Notes app – why did I want to read the book? what expectations did I have? Did it live up to them? What did I love or hate about the characters? Final Thoughts..!!!
- Post it to Goodreads.
- Start reading more reviews about the book….. Realize I didn’t even notice some plotholes because I was too busy mooning over the characters *bang my head on the wall*
- Rinse and repeat this process for every book 🤩🤩🤩
Reviewing books has changed my reading habits and me personally in a lot of ways. I have become slightly more thoughtful about the kind of the books I read and like, I think I have changed my perspective about a lot of issues and I have also managed to make some friends for life through the blogging community. And I always loved the process of writing since my childhood, so it makes me very happy that I get to do it everyday.
Do you love reading and writing book reviews? Is your process in any way similar to mine? What do you look for in book reviews? Who are your favorite book reviewers that you want me to checkout? Please share your thoughts in the comments below….