When I saw this tag on My Reading Escape blog, I had so much fun reading it and knew that I had to do it immediately. There can’t be a more apt way to almost end the year on the blog than talking about my favorite series of the year. And as someone who loves series way more than standalones, this is just perfect. So, let me get started right away…
1. What is the best series that you caught up with this year that is still a work in progress?
I finally listened to all my dear friends decided to plunge into this grimdark fantasy world and what can I say that hasn’t already been said. The Poppy War and The Dragon Republic completely blew my mind and I’m so glad that I finally got caught up with the series. Can’t wait to see what will happen in The Burning God.
2. What is the best work in progress series that you are still catching up with?
I’ve just managed to read Jade City till now which I absolutely loved, and Jade War is currently sitting on my shelf just glaring at me. I really want to read it but I guess I’m just scared. Soon… very soon…
3. What was your favorite first book in a series this year?
Frankly, there are just way too many first books in a series that I read this year which I loved, but I don’t wanna list them all. So, I’m gonna leave you all with my favorite YA fantasy debut There Will Come a Darkness (which was just utterly perfect) and favorite adult fantasy debut Blood of an Exile which completely blew my mind. Both these books have a great ensemble of characters and I’m totally in love with them all.
4. What is a first book in a series you read this year that you think should have just been a standalone, not a series?
As someone who always wants books to continue as series, it’s very unusual for me to want a book to be a standalone. Probably a very unpopular opinion around here, but I didn’t enjoy American Royals and hated the cliffhanger and wished it would just get over.
5. What is your most over-hyped series of the year?
While I agree that this series is entertaining and I had some fun reading The Queen of Nothing, I still think it’s overhyped and I have never felt the magic in it that everyone else does.
6. What is a series that you DNFed this year?
It’s not the series but the first book of the series that I DNFd, which makes me utterly sad because I want to promote diverse books so much. But I just couldn’t get into this one. Maybe I’ll give it another chance in the future.
7. What was your favorite series finale of the year?
Definitely The Shadow Glass. It’s just the perfect bittersweet ending I wanted and it was beautiful.
8. What was the biggest cliffhanger you had in a series this year?
The ending of A House of Rage and Sorrow is not exactly a cliffhanger but it ends with a bang (literally) and I just can’t even imagine what’s gonna happen next.
9. What is your favorite spinoff series you read this year?
This was my most highly anticipated spinoff of the year and Leigh didn’t disappoint. King of Scars has darling Nikolai and that’s all I really needed.
10. What is your most anticipated next book in a series that you read this year that will come out next year?
11. What is your most anticipated series to catch up with next year based on what you read in that series this year?
I only managed to read Three Parts Dead this year and thought maybe I could finish Two Serpents Rise too, but let’s see. I definitely have a lot to catch up on in this series, and I’m so excited because I’m already in love with this world.
12. What is your favorite series that you finished this year?
I read the complete Bone Witch trilogy this year and it’s my top favorite of 2019. Rin Chupeco mesmerized me with her words and this has one of my favorite cast of characters ever.
13. What is your favorite episodic series of the year?
I’m not really someone who reads episodic series (I don’t even know if I understand the term correctly).
14. What is a series that you finally bailed on after holding onto it for a long time?
I have a few series that I’ve been reading for a very long time, but I still haven’t abandoned any.
15. What is the series you were most surprised that you liked this year?
It’s not really surprising that I would love a series based on the Mahabharata but the extent to which I fell in love with this trilogy, especially Govinda came as a surprise to me too. I just couldn’t believe an author had reimagined my favorite epic in such an original manner and that too as a debut. Hats off to Krishna for her writing.
I’m not tagging anyone but if you are a fan of series like I am, please feel free to do this tag and share your thoughts with me….!!!